I've been wanting to do another one of these for a while, but the only thing really troubling me right now is the tantrums, and it's hard to find the positives in that.
So I thought more about the root of the frustration, and I think it all comes back to the fact that Toby's still nursing and I'm kind of done with it...
SO, This is Positive Party #4: Extended Breastfeeding.
- Long-term basic nutrition. If your toddler goes on a hunger strike, at least they're still getting nutrients from somewhere.
- Breastfeeding toddlers have fewer colds.
- Breastfeeding toddlers have fewer to no ear infections.
- Long-term breastfeeding increases toddler brain function.
- Breastfeeding makes your toddler feel secure. In my case, we never had a soother or a blankie because Toby never attached to one. Just me.
- It shuts them up.
- It keeps active toddlers in place long enough to fall asleep.
- Worldwide weaning age is 5. I've said that to a few people and they went 'oh' and backed off immediately.
- Reduces risk of breast/ovarian/uterine cancer for mom.
- Forces mom to sit and have quiet time.
- Wide awake toddler + half asleep mom + nursing = Staying in bed an extra hour in the morning